Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Confront your fears with a cobalt blue Jumpsuit

stella

Stella is an architect and a mother of a cute four-year old girl. Her style is unique and she stands out in the crowd because she has a flair for putting together outfits that look like they were made for her.

"I wear uniforms, that's all. I always had my issues and that’s why a uniform enables me to choose outfits that I know for sure they will work on me. That way, I conceal my insecurities." When I asked her what is it that she wants to hide behind a uniform, she referred me to Marina Abramovitz's video performance The Onion. " In that video Marina Abramovitz speaks on behalf of me."

In this photo, Stella wears a necklace by Christina Darra and plastic Marni shoes. "They are so comfortable", she says, "I've spent all last summer wearing as I was going in and out of the sea."

Marina Abramović, The Onion , 1996 – 20:00 mins

stella

The first shot is a close up of Abramović looking upward and holding a large onion. Her fingernails are painted bright red, just like her lips. Slowly she brings the onion closer to her mouth, taking a large bite from it and beginning to chew. Her voice-over keeps repeating the following as she devours the onion: ‘I’m tired of changing planes so often, waiting in the waiting rooms, bus stations, train stations, airports. I am tired of waiting for endless passport controls. Fast shopping in shopping malls. I am tired of more career decisions: museum and gallery openings, endless receptions, standing around with a glass of plain water, pretending that I am interested in conversation. I am tired of my migraine attacks. Lonely hotel room, room service, long distance telephone calls, bad TV movies. I am tired of always falling in love with the wrong man. I am tired of being ashamed of my nose being too big, of my ass being too large, ashamed about the war in Yugoslavia. I want to go away. Somewhere so far that I’m unreachable, by telephone or fax. I want to get old, really, really old, so that nothing matters any more. I want to understand and see clearly what is behind all of us. I want not to want anymore.’

source: http://wmuvideo.wordpress.com

4 comments:

not a girl not yet a woman! said...

Great!

Dimitri Zafiriou said...

Great icons...very fresh..and fabulous Stella's outfit!

MARY CHING GIRLS said...

The jumpsuit looks really great! It's amazing!

www.marychingshanghai.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

nice!

my humble opinion is that you should get a better camera, how about an slr? there are some inexpensive ones. these photos don't show off the outfits as they should. :) if i were you, i'd take off the logo of the photos too. oh, and i'd change the layout of this blog so i could put some larger photos!

i hope you don't take my words as an insult, it seems that you put a lot of effort here but there are some details that would make this blog stand out! keep it up! :D